40 percent Indians reported an increase in episodes of acidity/heartburn/gas issues during covid-19 pandemic times as compared to pre-covid times due to their sedentary lifestyle.
Bengaluru, October 2021: Velocity Healthcare, a healthcare full-service insights company, catering to the healthcare insights needs of marketers, manufacturers & governments, released the research study to understand the treatment pathway in Indians for Acidity/Heartburn/Gas. This pan-India study covering 14 Indian cities examined the changes in management practice during Pre-Covid v/s Covid times. A sample of 300+ respondents aged 20+ years who suffered acidity/gas/heartburn issues in the last 45 days and took allopathic medication (oral tablets/capsule/syrup ONLY) to manage acidity/heartburn/gas issues were included for this niche study. The study depicts insightful data about practices and typical patient pathways such as causes/triggers, frequency of occurrence, type of allopathic medications consumed by Indians – for managing acidity/heartburn/Gas issues.
The study reveals that over 90% of Indians confess that their management measures of acidity/heartburn/gas issue have changed in the Current Times vs. the Pre-Covid times mainly due to adoption of a healthy lifestyle (47%) and preventive measures to avoid acidity (40%) than before the pandemic.
The report further assessed the patients’ journey map as to how patients managed their acidity/heartburn/gas issues consisting of the most common symptoms suffered during the last episode, time duration of the last episode, the stage at which allopathic medications were taken. The report also presents insightful information about the 1st resort/2nd resort/3rd resort measures taken & the doctor consulted, etc.
Jasal Shah, Managing Director & CEO, Velocity Healthcare, states, “During the covid times, many people realized the importance of adhering to a healthy lifestyle, and they also witnessed the results. But, at the same time, few didn’t see what was coming with WFH mode; 40% had increased episodes of acidity-related issues due to the sedentary lifestyle. Almost all of us resort to home remedies at first, and few do that at the second resort as well. Doctor consultation is ever availed by almost three – fourth of the respondents either when their first resort measures fail (45%) or immediately after getting the symptoms (30 %). In totality, this report studies respondents’ varied reaction and approaches, which brings a lot of insights for healthcare brands.”
Highlights of the study
Change in suffering and management of acidity/heartburn/gas issue:
- Our findings highlight varied reactions amongst respondents about change in their frequency of occurrence in episodes of acidity/heartburn/gas issue.
- It was observed that almost ~40% had an increase in their episodes of acidity/heartburn/gas due to their sedentary lifestyle compared to pre covid times.
- Whereas amongst the remaining respondents, ~40% mentioned that pandemic has had no impact on their episodes of acidity/heartburn/gas
- It’s interesting to know that over 90% confessed that their management measures of acidity/heartburn/gas issue have changed in the current times vs. the pre covid times mainly due to adoption of a healthy lifestyle (47%) and preventive measures to avoid acidity (40%) than before the pandemic.
- Immediate resort to allopathic medication (~40%) and doctor consultation (~20%) has also increased during pandemic vs. before.
About Velocity Healthcare
Velocity Healthcare is a tech-savvy healthcare insights provider that aims to provide reliable & actionable insights backed by quality data from global proprietary healthcare panels in 19+ countries with 150+ medical specialties. The need for healthcare insights has never been so realized ever before for marketers, manufacturers & governments. In the pursuit to help healthcare & allied services, Velocity Healthcare aims to provide reliable & actionable insights backed by quality data from proprietary healthcare panels & technology to add efficiency & reduce redundancies. In a nutshell, we’re the healthcare full-service research agency for the end-to-end execution of primary market research.